A lot of the data in Canada was imported from CanVec and Geobase,
some of it by me several years ago. The imported data is pretty poor
quality in many places. I haven't done much work on this recently, as
imports have a bad reputation in OSM and I am mostly concerned with
surveying. For example:

- Some older road data comes from an import which combined CanVec and
Statistics Canada road names, attempting to match the road names in
Statistics Canada with roads without names from CanVec, and this data
is poor quality.
- Road data in some areas is missing entirely.
- The CanVec address data is low quality, and is often broken - e.g.
on a tile boundary address ranges will be split in half, and comes
from several different versions of CanVec.
- Other CanVec layers such as woods, lakes and so on were imported in
some areas but not others. Much of this data is low quality.
- Some road names have too many spaces e.g. "John Street" is "John
Street". Some address ranges are like that as well.
- lanes=-1 and surface=unpaved for roads that are really paved in Quebec.
- Better quality municipal GIS datasets are now available in some
cities like Toronto, Peel Region and York Region and if they are
properly licensed, these should be used whenever possible. There
generally are some minor errors in these datasets, but they are far
better quality than CanVec/Geobase.

I really like the TO-FIX Tiger Delta layer at
<http://osmlab.github.io/to-fix/#/task/tigerdelta> which matches TIGER
data with OSM data and tries to find errors. It would helpful if a
similar tool were created for Canada.