Hi Andrew, Lester,

The unclassified <-> residential is an issue that has been plaguing the US data
as well (as all TIGER low class roads were imported as residential regardless
of urban / rural context). Purely from a navigation / routing perspective, this
is not a huge deal, but as an OSM mapper it makes me cringe. Especially the
huge amounts of tracks / unpaved / non-existing rural roads imported from TIGER
in the US that are still happily sitting around as residential in OSM… (see
also Richard Fairhurst’s recent remarks on this persistent issue in the thread
about his cycle route planner expansion into the US).

Any ideas on how to entice folks to fixing these? One thing I’ve heard proposed
a few times is publishing a map that just doesn’t render anything that is TIGER
/ CANVEC residential and hasn’t been edited. It’s not completely trivial but it
can be done. Better ideas welcome. MapRoulette?

Martijn