See <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec>. CanVec data was
converted to OSM format and is stored at
<http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/OSM/pub/>, and is split into files based
on the National Topographic System, and then data was imported in some
parts of Canada by manually cutting and pasting data from these files
into JOSM. I did this in a large part of southern Ontario and some
other users have done this as well. Importing CanVec data this way and
correcting all the errors is tedious and hasn't been completed for all
of Canada, and I haven't done very much with this for several years.
Before this was done there were more primitive imports done, perhaps
around 2008-2009 or so, and these imports are extremely low quality. I
can't remember which OSM user did this. When OSM was new there was not
much data in OSM, so a lot of imports were done and many of these
imports were poor quality; now that OSM is more mature, imports are
increasingly viewed unfavourably and there is a general attitude that
data should be collected by surveying whenever possible.

It would probably be best to use the newest version of the Geobase
National Road Network (http://www.geobase.ca/) and compare this to the
data in OSM and make corrections that way. Keep in mind that this data
has errors and municipal datasets (where available) are always better
quality.