Great points, Daniel. And thank you very much for providing the summary of
viewpoints. I found the online archive hard to follow.

When it comes to calling a route a trunk route I lean towards the
functionality of the route as opposed to the design qualities. Excepting
motorways, IMO trunk routes are about what is the purpose of the route with
the following values:

1) Linking significant cities and/or destinations.

2) Traffic volumes.

3) Suitability for goods movement.

The problem is these can be subjective and not objective.

Overall I lean towards J.P. Kirby's definition. This is because I look at
the end user's point of view for using a map. The vast majority is to find
the most efficient way of travelling from point A to point B taking the
route that has the highest speed limit with the highest number of
intersection where they have priority over the cross streets. It doesn't
matter if the road has two-lane or four-lanes. What matters is that the
cross streets have stop signs or have signalized traffic light giving the
trunk route priority over the cross street. This can include short linkages
of un-number highway routes.

Cheers,
Ken