I still lean towards function over design as how to define a trunk road.

The present Tag: highway=trunk for high performance roads that don't meet
the requirement for motorway actually is inclusive of the function of the
highway.  All that is required is further the definition to clarify this
point.

For a moment I stepped out of OSM's definitions and took at look to
Wikipedia which says:

*"A trunk road, trunk highway, or strategic road is a major road, usually
connecting two or more cities, ports, airports and other places, which is
the recommended route for long-distance and freight traffic. Many trunk
roads have segregated lanes in a dual carriageway
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_carriageway>, or are of motorway
standard." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_road
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_road>*

I note that this description is more about the purpose of the highway than
if it is 2-lanes or 4-lanes, has a dividing barrier, limited access
interchanges, etc.

While focusing on the design of a highway to determine if it should be a
trunk, primary, secondary, tertiary, or residential is far easier to define
over the function/purpose of highway it, IMO, misses the point of what a
map should be providing. Information to the user as how to
travel efficiency from point A to point B.

Turning to existing examples of provincial and state maps for guidance I
find these examples:

   - Alberta - http://bit.ly/1ZT3Sz0 - It shows the following three levels.
   (1) Freeways. (2) Paved provincial highways regardless as to the number of
   lanes. (3) Gravel surfaced highways.
   - Saskatchewan - http://bit.ly/1OPB7Ag - (1) Divided highways. (2) Paved
   provincial highways regardless as to the number of lanes. (3) Thin membrane
   surfaces - important for heavily load trucks. (4) Gravel surfaces.
   - Washington state - http://1.usa.gov/1KFy1uI - (1) Interstate. (2) Dual
   carriageway design state highways. (3) Undivided state highways. (4)
   County/local roads.

When I look at these I find them easy to understand the network between
destinations versus having design being the primary focus.

Therefore I'd like to suggest the follow definition for Tag: highway=trunk:

*high performance roads that don't meet the requirement for motorway design
standards and linking two or more cities, ports, airports and other places,
which is the recommended route for long-distance and freight traffic.*

There can be a further definition for clarity. For example, I would
classify Quebec Highway 133 - http://bit.ly/1RNQooL - which links Autoroute
35 to the United States and Interstate 89. However, Quebec Highway 133 does
not have any major destination along its route itself.

Looking forward to further discussion,
Ken