Hi Daniel,

I just took a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence and
the only difference between trunk and primary is the use of the *National
Highway System - Core Routes*. I actually find that document to be more
subjective then objective.

As far I as I can tell the *National Highway System - Core Routes *is
simply a document which the Federal government uses when distributing
funding to the provinces for the purpose of road improvements and
infrastructure development. I come to this conclusion as here in the Lower
Mainland of British Columbia there are four primary border crossings --
Peace Arch (BC 99), Pacific Highway (BC 15), Aldergrove (BC 13), and
Huntingdon-Abbotsford (BC 11). I can argue that three are actually trunk
roads on the following basis:

   - BC 99 is to motorway standards, therefore automatically defined
   as Tag:highway=motorway
   - Goods movement for import/export and therefore all three crossings are
   nationally important - 15, 13, & 11
   - High volume of motor vehicles on annual basis -  BC 15 = 2.5 million
   vehicles; BC 13 = 786,000 vehicles; BC 11 =  1.2 million vehicles
   - All three routes link the Trans-Canada Highway to important ports of
   entry and to Seattle when used with other routes such as Interstate 5. Both
   BC 15 and BC 13 can be argued connect Metro Vancouver two million persons
   to important destinations. Meanwhile BC 11 can be argued as linking Seattle
   to interior cities of Prince George, Kamloops, and Kelowna as well as
   Edmonton in Alberta.

IMO the most important difference between a trunk route and a primary route
is trunk route is under provincial or federal** jurisdiction and therefore
numbered, while a primary route is unnumbered urban arterial route.

I think my biggest issue is that OSM only allows for primary, secondary,
tertiary, and residential designations regardless if it is highway an
interurban route linking cities or an intra-urban street such as
Vancouver's 41st Avenue, Toronto's Yonge Street, or Montreal's Boulevard
René-Lévesque. All three of these urban examples can be classified as
primary just the same as BC 15, ON 6, or QC 157 as they have the same cross
section of four travel lanes. Yet the latter three have a different
function than the former three.

Here are links to Google's Streetview to show the six examples.

Vancouver's 41st Avenue > https://goo.gl/maps/EYx3j6eE93x

Toronto's Yonge Street > https://goo.gl/maps/b6zq2fzCGdN2

Montreal's Boulevard René-Lévesque > https://goo.gl/maps/7MSniiaQLU52

BC 15 > https://goo.gl/maps/Brnkj8YGpSo

ON 6 > https://goo.gl/maps/M4TmhDJXZRC2

QC 157 > https://goo.gl/maps/EL7ZTbXvm3z

Perhaps the easiest way is to have a clear definitions for both
Tag:highway=trunk
and Tag:highway=primary. Therefore I suggest the following:

*Tag:highway=trunk *--> A provincial and/or federal government highway that
has a route number assigned to it and has route shields posted as well as
any unnumbered routes that are listed in the National Highway System - Core
Routes.

*Tag:highway=primary* --> A road that has four or more lanes in width that
is not defined by either Tag:highway=trunk or Tag:highway=motorway.

Would this distinction between the two levels -- trunk and primary -- be
clear enough for everyone?

I know that there will still be some subjectivity on behalf of the
individual OSM contributor but it provides a more clear distinction on the
border between the two categories. Also some numbered routes that serve
small towns that at the end of the road can
be classified as Tag:highway=trunk, but I feel that is more appropriate
then classifying it as a secondary or tertiary level highway. If you lived,
in say Harrison Hot Springs, BC 9 *is* your trunk route to the rest of the
world.

---

***The Federal government has direct responsibility over all roads that go
through national parks and other federally controlled property. For
example, BC 1 in Mt Revelstoke, Glacier, and Yoho national parks is not
maintained by the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure but by
the Government of Canada's Parks Canada Agency. I used to work the BC
Ministry of Transportation and Highways and we had no jurisdiction over
these sections of highway.*