I believe these are the result of importing Canvec landuse data for some
areas and not for others. Because the data is in square chunks, you end up
with these unnatural looking squares on the map. Really it's just a case of
the other areas don't have detail yet.

Across the border it looks like the US just has parks and national forests,
etc. mapped, and not the general natural=forest that you see across Canada.

Alan (alarobric)