Thanks. It’s good to here that the TB (Treasury Board?) are starting to provide
support in that way of a kit for municipalities. It would be good to work with
the municipal leaders in building capacity with those municipalities with
limited capacity and resources to support open data initiatives (see Open
Cities Index Results for 2017
https://publicsectordigest.com/open-cities-index-results-2017 published by the
PSD. Highlights from the report:
• 45 percent of municipalities surveyed have an open data committee in place
• Of those respondents with an open data committee, very few are having regular
meetings
• The vast majority of respondents are either considering an open data policy
(33 percent), are in the process of implementing one (7 percent), or already
have an established policy (45 percent)
• While few municipal respondents have an open data strategic plan currently in
place, more than half are considering a plan or are currently implementing one
• 69 percent of surveyed municipalities report having internal educational
resources in place for their open data program, while 51 percent report having
external resources available for the community

I live in Cobourg in Northumberland County south of Peterborough. We do not
have an Open Data initiative at either the municipal or regional level. Cobourg
received a $450K grant for an incubation hub called Venture 13, and
Peterborough is in the process of educating internal staff on their new open
data policy. We are hoping to learn from the leaders in OSM and Open Data
through hands-on activities like the BC2020i.

I have been volunteering my time with the Niagara Region folks for the past two
years to try to figure out a way to get the open data into the K-12 education
sector. We too have the same need as Clifford and Keith in Manitoba who are
trying to figure out how to connect local high school and undergraduate
students to a local problem-solving task using the BC202i framework.

Marina, It would be help if you could connect with the federal TB team so that
they understand what should go into a kit for municipalities and their
community partners that want to participate in a BC2020i OSM project. My
contact over there is Alannah Hilt (see bio at
go-opendata.ca/speaker/alannah-hilt/). Connie, since Niagara Region in number 9
on the list of the top 20 Open Data leaders, is there anything you think we
need to add to support the mapathon event in the Niagara Region?

Jonathan