On 18-03-26 05:33 AM, talk-ca-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:
Message: 3
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:33:14 +0000
From: James <james2...@gmail.com>
To: "Olivia Robu - (p)" <olivia.r...@telenav.com>
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk-ca@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Trans-Canada Highway research

highway 417 should be tagged as highway 417 and not principally transcanada
way as this is how it's known locally. It can be tagged in transcanada
relation, but it's mainly known as the 417

I disagree.  "Highway 417" is a low-value name, because the "ref" tag should already contain the number, causing numbered shields to be shown.  "Highway 417" is just a verbosification of the number. "Trans-Canada Highway", however, is a real name; it belongs in the name field.

This way, most maps would show both name and number.

To me, the (completely separate) issue is whether ordinary numbered highways should have a name tag at all, "Highway nnn", or simply nothing because "ref" takes care of it.  I've been able to find no guidance on this, and I've looked.  I've been leaving "Highway nnn" in place when I see it, which is most of the time.  But that's another discussion for another day.