I'm changing the subject line to try and retain some clarity for the mailing list.

James, thanks for the stats! I'm surprised this didn't remove more points.

Steve, I mentioned earlier that 20cm is where I happened to draw the line for the data we imported in Hamilton County, Ohio and I'm not totally sure even that was ideal. A bit more than half of the buildings we've been importing there have one (damned) extra node which I've been trying to remove manually. I may have been a bit too conservative there, as I didn't want to lose any part of the geometry. Sometimes there are tiny bay windows and the like.

I'm wondering if the scope of this data warrants some analysis of how simplification (and perhaps data quality generally) varies geographically. It seems quite likely that every municipality would have it's own quirks, and we might want to treat some places differently.

Best,

Nate Wessel
Jack of all trades, Master of Geography, PhD candidate in Urban Planning
NateWessel.com <http://natewessel.com>