Maybe we look at volume and connectivity to higher orders of road and/or
connectivity to other municipalities as the criteria?

In some areas these will also happen to be former provincial highways (ex:
parts of former Hwy 7, parts of former Hwy 10/Hurontario, Main St
(Hamilton), etc.) while others won't have ever been provincial, such as
Adelaide, Dixie, Steeles, King (Hamilton).

When those former highways were being made primary before, they were simply
only because they were former provincial highways and not because of
volume, for example Queen & Main (former Hwy 7 & Hwy 10) in downtown
Brampton was made Primary.

Thoughts?

-Kevin