Peter Reed wrote:

> There have been a number of attempts to estimate the level of UK
> coverage, of varying levels of sophistication, but I've not seen any that
> compare the length of roads mapped against actual road lengths.

> Over the last couple of weeks, I've had a first attempt at doing this for
> about 100 local authorities with decent boundaries.

This looks like fantastic work.

By way of helping to inform debate, with a real-world usage example:

We have a need for a programmatic means to detect the very rough level of
completeness of an area.

For instance, we know from personal experience that
http://cambridge.cyclestreets.net/
is very complete, but I can tell (to take a random example) that
http://lichfield.cyclestreets.net/
is not very complete so far.

As a result, people doing route-planning on cyclestreets.net will get
poorer routes in the latter area because the data isn't there to plan over.

However, we can't tell this programmatically. The benefit, if we could,
would be that we can manage user expectations with a message that "routing
in this area will not yet work well because the map data is incomplete",
and know better where to target a roll-out of the system out around the
country in a way that gives us more confidence about the results people in
each area will get.

I'm not quite sure what the solution could be, particularly as the
preloaded areas (map centre-points):
http://www.cyclestreets.net/area/#england
do not correspond to local authority areas as such. But I thought I'd
throw in this real-world example to help inform debate..

Martin,                     **  CycleStreets - For Cyclists, By Cyclists
Developer, CycleStreets     **  http://www.cyclestreets.net/