FWIW,I think all the local government boundaries for England are in OSM now,
as complete polygons, down to County, London Borough, Met Borough, and
English Unitary level (but not districts). That's all the detail I need to
estimate coverage against the DfT statistics.

I was having problems with plotting Hampshire, but I seem to have got round
them by using more sophisticated Postgis functions to assemble the boundary
from components ways (i.e. ST_Union, rather than ST_Collect). I'm not sure
why this is, but I'm happy to  go with the flow.

For anyone who is following this, my process is now a bit more robust, but
still not very sophisticated. It currently takes a day or two to extract,
load and analyse the whole thing, and I have to find time around real life.
But I'm hoping to have another attempt at estimating road coverage with this
more complete data in a few days time.

So far I can't find any local government boundaries in Scotland, and parts
of Wales are there, but parts are still missing.

Meanwhile, there is a nice map on the French Openstreetmap page showing
coverage of French Communes
http://files.meurisse.org/osm/2009/communes-20090801.png

I can read French a little, and I have tried to make out the background from
the Talk FR pages. See "Avancement des communes" in
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/2009-April/thread.html

As far as I can see, this map is plotting the extent to which boundaries
have been plotted at the level of a French Commune (i.e- local government
boundaries, not roads).

My French really isn't up to asking more in the TALK-FR lists, so I'd be
interested in any more information from the UK. Can anyone help?