On 21 Jul 2009, at 09:31, Dave Stubbs wrote:

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM, David Earl <da...@frankieandshadow.com > wrote:
For the record: I agree with Peter that we need to undo this user's
changes, however it is done, and that it could cause large parts of East Anglia to be wiped out if data that happened to have his name on were to be removed because of the license process. We need a way to deal with this.

You're exaggerating in this case. But if you're going down that road then liam123 is the least of your worries. Anyway, that's a legal question for a license switch, and the moment he (or anybody else for that matter) touches a node/way/relation it doesn't matter how we revert, we'll still have the problem. The bonus of exact reverts is that they should be pretty easy to detect and discard, but radical changes moved roughly back might not be that hard.

He keeps coming back, day after day, making nonsense edits, but not in a
random way. It's not just scribbling.

Frederick put the revert scripts in svn a while back if you want to take a look.

I think this discussion is actually about the process of deciding that we want to make a change, not the technical ability to do so. Let's deal with the social side first and then do what we decide using the technology which is evidently available.

There seem to be two options available:

1) Revert all changes for which the vandal (whoever they are) is the last editor to the value before the change was made. Or... 2) Revert all ways which the vandal touch within an agreed date-range to the information prior to the edits even if further edits have been made over the top since them. To achieve this second we would need agreement from the people who subsequently tried to repair by hand. I suggest we should *not* consider this further at this point, instead we should watch more carefully for malicious edits, especially from new users, catch them more quickly and have an agreed way of getting consensus that a revert and do the deed prior to too much repair work taking place or new rendering to have be done.

I am not hearing anyone saying we should not revert all Liam123's edits for which he is still the most recent editor. Can someone do it?

Should we set up a vandalism response process and team for England, or the East of England, GB or UK which can deal with UK related vandalism? One reason for doing this on at a territorial level is because issues will be different in different territories - the middle east and Cyprus have different issues from this part of the wold. Possibly we start with the GB area (to match with talk-gb) and then consider breaking it out to England, Scotland and Wales at a later point if necessary and possibly into regions but only if there is a good reason.

To be clear, we should only apply a revert to malicious edits; newbies errors should be tweeked and dealt with much more sensitively (speaking as one who has broken the coastline and sunk the east coast on more than one occasion).

For licencing purposes I suggest we would should to recognise the special case where a way had been reverted to exactly what it was before an edit was done and then remove the person from the IPR chain for that way in those circumstances.

Regards,

Peter Miller

Dave