On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2009, at 10:24, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>  On 21/07/09 10:10, Peter Miller wrote:
>>
>>  I am not hearing anyone saying we should not revert all Liam123's edits
>>> for which he is still the most recent editor. Can someone do it?
>>>

>> That will be up to the Data Working Group surely?
>>

> Possibly.
>

>>  Should we set up a vandalism response process and team for England, or
>>> the East of England, GB or UK which can deal with UK related vandalism?
>>> One reason for doing this on at a territorial level is because issues
>>> will be different in different territories - the middle east and Cyprus
>>> have different issues from this part of the wold. Possibly we start with
>>> the GB area (to match with talk-gb) and then consider breaking it out to
>>> England, Scotland and Wales at a later point if necessary and possibly
>>> into regions but only if there is a good reason.
>>>

>> It's called the Data Working Group and it already exists and is due to
>> meet in the near future - I assume this will be on the agenda.
>>

> Thanks Tom.
>
> The vandalism page says one should (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism):-<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism%29:->
> " 1. Make direct human contact. Be polite and assume the best. Wait
> adequate time for response. This is always the first course of action.
> "2. Consult with lists and/or trusted individuals and the local community
> to examine problem. If necessary the data working group will help identify
> "investigators" within the community who can research the issues.
> "3. Report vandalism to the data working group (d...@osmfoundation.org).
> This should be the last resort!
>
> Fyi, we have done 1. We are in the process of doing 2. We should then do 3,
> but only after we have agreement on 2. I think we are also talking about how
> we should "Consult with lists and/or trusted individuals and the local
> community to examine problem" in the UK in the future to quickly get to the
> point where we agree a revert is needed.
>
> My intention would be that it should then be pretty much a matter of
> pressing the 'revert' button by someone in the data group after the local
> group has reached agreement.
>
> I would hope that the revert could happen within hours of the report - it
> should not required to wait for a meeting by which time the vandalism will
> have filtered out onto the rendering and into weekly planet files etc etc.

There's no need for the data group to do the revert. No special permissions
are used, no super db access rights or anything.
We'd just use the same scripts as are currently available in svn.
When copyright isn't an issue, and the scale is small, it can easily be
handled by the community.

The only area where the data group needs to get involved is if a user needs
banning or there's some massive war going on.

> I suggest that most of the work of the Data Working Group will be dealing
> with complex issues with potential mass copyright infringement or
> robot-based mass damage. I really hope that this central working group
> doesn't get distracted by every clown in the world who messes with an area
> for a few hours after an evening in the pub!

Most disappear quite happily without further interaction. The community can
handle the revert.
It's only persistent problem users that require further attention and there
have been mercifully few of them.

Dave