I've used old_name=* in places that might also be good to be a
warning suppressor.
Sometimes visible signs remain but may fade away, sometimes it's been a
place I've resurveyed for OSM (changes from marketing during new development
and road sign installation). There was one case where the end of the road
had a big name(some mews) carved into the house but the sign at the entrance
was different (some close), when I got home I noticed my photo of the sign
actually said in small print "formerly some mews".

I don't see too much problem with the not:name tag, it's what would be
stored under the 'note' tag but gives it a maachine-readable format.
But what if a 3rd source says something different. Should we record that
too, and how? not:name=Something,Somewhat,SomePlace,...

On 1 June 2010 22:46, Roy Jamison <xtee...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Totally agree. Flooding OSM with not: tags is both pointless and
> counter-productive. Why not implement a search engine type feature like
> google suggest that spell checks and autocorrects. If the differences
> between OS Locater and OSM are only minor, i.e. apostrophes, spaces in
> names, etc then these could probably just be ignored instead of having
> millions of not:* tags for all the possible permutations that *could* be
> entered incorrectly by an end user.
> >
> > It just feels that the not:* tag is adding data to OSM to placate a lint
> > tool, rather than adding geographic data to the database. Surely the way
> > to do it is to add to your OS Locator data to stop your lint tool
> > reporting the error, rather than adding the not:* tag to OSM?
> >
> > Still an interesting tool.
> >

> > Cheers, Chris

Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com