On 2 Jun 2010, at 09:48, Ed Loach wrote:

> Gregory wrote:
>
>> But what if a 3rd source says something different. Should
>> we record that too, and how?
> not:name=Something,Somewhat,SomePlace,...
>
> This perhaps relates to a discussion I just had on the irc channel
> about how to tag a road with two names. I've not checked the OS
> Locator source data, but there is a road in Wrabness which seems to
> have two names - Rectory Road and Primrose Hill. The best
> suggestions on how to tag this involved using the alt_name tag or
> using ; as a separator in the name tag as is commonly used for
> separating values already. (This arose as I'd tagged the name as
> Primrose Hill and the ITO comparison layer highlighted that Rectory
> Road was missing).
>
> So I'd suggest if it doesn't already that the layer recognise
> ;-separated lists in both name and not:name tag values.

I believe that Gregory was actually talking about a list of names that
the road isn't called rather than alternative valid names.

With references to an earlier comment about the OSM DB being 'flooded'
with 'not:name' data I estimate that only 0.3% of roads in OS Locator
have errors so we are talking about a very small number of entries,
but they may be important entries. In that case that there are
multiple not:names, then possibly the ';' separator would be
appropriate to create a list, but I can't think of any instance where
I would use it at present.

I guess what we are saying is that there is a difference between an
error (calling it High Street when it is actually Rectory ROad and
High Street is somewhere else in the village) and where some locals
refer to it as Rectory Road. The former go in not:name and the later
in alt:name. Or OS Locator layer should probably also check 'alt-name'
fields and treat them as matches.

Regards,

Peter