On 9 June 2011 10:41, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:
> Peter Miller <peter.miller@...> writes:
>
>>1) A list of not:names that orginated from OS Locator but where OS
>>Locator does not currently contain that error. The challenge is that
>>not all not:name entries in OSM will have originated from error in OS
>>Locator; they could contain details of errors from other sources, such
>>as Navteq or TeleAtlas or elsewhere.
>
> Uhh... what?  Is anybody updating the OSM map based on comparison with
> proprietary maps such as Navteq?  I thought we didn't do that.

I have not used commercial mapping while creating the map,  but some
errors in Navteq, TeleAtlas and AA naming locally have subsequently
come to my attention subsequently and I see no reason why these should
not be in also included in not:name. It certainly doesn't break any
copyright to do so and provides strong evidence that we are doing
proper surveying rather than copying.

For example: Navteq (and Bing) incorrectly name the section of Nacton
Road in Ipswich from the junction with Felixstowe Road heading east as
Clapgate Lane. It isn't. It might be appropriate therefore to add a
not:name entry to OSM at that point with a not:name:note saying that
Navteq has a wrong. I haven't do so yet but had in mind to do this.

> Sometimes I find cases where the OSM name was wrong.  When correcting it I
> add the old value as an incorrect_name tag.  I suppose that some people might
> be using not:name for that purpose.

Only if it is other than just an OSM naming error.

>>2) A list of street names which are in OSM but which are not in OS
>>Locator could be a good publicity tool for OSM and a good new source
>>of errors for elements of a way (for example where a short section of
>>a street associated with a bridge but the other way had a typo in
>>OSM). I guess that needs would ideally have its own rendering layer?
>
> Yes, it would be a separate report and layer from the usual comparison.
>
>>Finally. Might it be useful for us to accommodate have multiple
>>not:name entries associated with a single road? For example where a
>>single street has multiple different duff names from one or more
>>different sources, ie OS Locator and Navteq both have different wrong
>>names.
>
> Again could you explain where you're coming from with Navteq, etc?

See above explanation.

Regards,

Peter