Hi

On 17 September 2012 18:00, Jonathan Harley <j...@spiffymap.net> wrote:

> Just to throw another venue idea into the mix, how about Warwick
> University? Advantages: it keeps winning awards as one of the best
> conference venues in the UK, and can offer a very full-service event where
> the venue will provide all the materials needed for the organisers as well
> as things like extra people to help do the running around (putting up signs
> etc). I work within walking distance and could act as venue liaison.
> Coventry isn't far from Nottingham which will host FOSS4G. Takes just over
> an hour on the train from London and is in the centre of the motorway
> network too.
>
> Traditionally SOTMs have been run by us, the volunteers, versus
 professional organizers. (In comparison the larger FOSS4G is run by
professionals). I think this keeps costs down and in my opinion makes it a
more friendly affair. I'm not sure if this is set in stone, but I think we
should be prepared to run everything ourselves.

Also, you should factor this in when talking with spaces - some purpose
built conference venues are not used to people running things themselves
(including food etc).

Tim