I'm sure there are many ways of doing this, but that is what I did.

This thread seems determined to undermine the University of Cambridge map
by wanting to change everything it relies on. I did spend a long time
thinking about how to do it at the beginning of the project, and did
publish the details then. Reorganising it dramatically four years on for
the sake of it would probably mean U of C abandoning OSM as being too
costly to maintain.