Andy Townsend wrote:
> OSM's "standard" map is currently trying to be "the primary
> feedback mechanism to mappers" but also have "clear
> design" (1).  I genuinely don't believe that you can do both
> well in one map style.

I think you can, but it requires serious cartographical chops, and - ideally
- some degree of interactivity (clickable/hoverable POIs, etc.) to break out
beyond the standard two dimensions.

> Unfortunately I suspect what I'd choose works well for a
> certain type of countryside, but less well for town centres [...]
> so I suspect that we'd soon hit the same sort of issues as
> the standard style has

You can fairly easily adapt rendering rules for rural areas vs towns. See
for example http://cycle.travel/map?lat=51.791&lon=-1.5087&zoom=13 : pubs
aren't shown in towns at z13 (Witney), but are in villages (Minster Lovell,
Ducklington). At z16 they're shown in towns but not cities.

It doesn't play nicely with minutely updates, but would we need that for a
UK map? I'd have thought a daily reimport - very feasible on a UK-sized
extract - would be enough.

cheers
Richard