> Andy Townsend wrote:
> > (6)
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:SomeoneElse/Your_tiles_from_osm.org

Interesting hack Andy, thanks

>> Unfortunately I suspect what I'd choose works well for a
>> certain type of countryside, but less well for town centres [...]
>> so I suspect that we'd soon hit the same sort of issues as
>> the standard style has
>
> You can fairly easily adapt rendering rules for rural areas vs towns. See
> for example http://cycle.travel/map?lat=51.791&lon=-1.5087&zoom=13 : pubs
> aren't shown in towns at z13 (Witney), but are in villages (Minster Lovell,
> Ducklington). At z16 they're shown in towns but not cities.
>
> It doesn't play nicely with minutely updates, but would we need that for a
> UK map? I'd have thought a daily reimport - very feasible on a UK-sized
> extract - would be enough.

Sounds good. Mind if I ask how it is done? (i.e. rendering rules for
rural vs town) - is it simply two different stylesheets, plus a list
of specified boundaries, or something responsive to POI density,
or...? If there's a blurb online somewhere that gives a hint I'd be
interested.

(Sorry if I'm taking this off-topic, not sure.)

Dan