Hi Rob

It seems that if we are thinking about charitable
organisation we need to be careful about whether we are talking about “aims” or
“objectives”.  Quoting :
http://www.ces-vol.org.uk/about-performance-improvement/about-monitoring-evaluation/planning-for-monitoring-evaluation/aims.html
“Aims are the changes you are trying to achieve.” and “Objectives are the
methods or activities by which you achieve your aims”.

My initial thought for an objective was:  “To facilitate and encourage the
development
and use of Openstreetmap in the UK”.
Although this looks like more of an “aim” according to the above.

I do think including “use” is important.  There are clearly large data users
but this
also works down at an individual level.  I
started by using an OSM map on my Garmin for example before I then became
involved in improving the map.  So
encouraging use could well lead to more development.  I also think that using
the map helps
feedback into improving the overall quality of development.

Personally I’m not sure about “increase the number of data
contributors” as a primary objective.  I
know of a chair for one organisation that decided that this was very important
and ended up undermining the aim of the organisation.  I also not that keen on
“keep their
motivation”.   It strikes me as quite a
difficult objective to achieve and assess the organisations success against,
given how many individual motivations seem to exist in the OSM community.

Perhaps we need to restructure this with aims and objectives
to achieve these.  If we want to keep the
option of a charitable organisation open then presumably the aims will also
need to
be “charitable”.

Kind Regards

Dudley