On 18-Jan-17 01:23 AM, SK53 wrote:
I do use these from time to time. My usual use cases are:

  * Small named estates of social housing. These are common throughout
    Greater London and the name is usually shown on boards around the
    perimeter of each estate. Even for ones without such boards there
    is often good evidence for the name (for instance Municpal Dreams'
    blog on social housing often uses them). Conceivably these could
    also be tagged place=neighbourhood, but I think that may be
    misleading as they will usually be described as XXX Estate, YYY
    Suburb.
  * Student Villages. Gated sets of apartment blocks marketed to
    students only. Although a fairly recent innovation in the UK, they
    often represent a significant, and historically interesting
    development. These I also tag residential=student_village. There
    are at least 5 within a mile of here.
  * Very well defined, named residential areas too small to be a
    suburb. A pretty unusual occurrence because unlike the two cases
    above boundaries are often subjective. In many cases these will be
    discrete housing developments (private or social) which retain an
    identity. Often the name will be a local_name, such as Sterling
    Homes Estate, or the Wimpy Estate. A good example would be the
    'Bomber Estate' in Maidenhead
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/24992892>. Again I tend to
    avoid neighbourhood because what defines these places is often
    just commonality of building types and time of the development.
  * Retail Parks & Shopping Centres.
  * Industrial Estates & Business Parks.
  * Farm names on landuse=farmyard. I much prefer this to place=farm.
    I also often exclude the similarly named original farm house as
    these are increasingly not part of the farm itself. Even if the
    owner of the farm lives in the house it is unusual for them to
    farm themselves.

I am just adding a landuse=farm with a name. And with produce=nut;fruit nut=macadamia fruit=avocado. In this case I have a good boundary and I have a fair amount of information about the place. Generally I add a node place=farm as I am not certain where the boundary lies .. the next farm looks much like this one and I don't know which field is which farms. Generally here the main farm residence carries the same name, and is used by the farm manager as their residence, I add a polygon as the building outline with building=farm, name=*.

Other uses include:

  * Area with both landuse and a place tag. Most often villages, but
    some suburbs of Milton Keynes have been mapped that way. MK is
    unusual in that the grid and area names are well-defined.
  * Field names (a few examples to the W of MK). One of these
    <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/232551091> applies to a former
    field which is now residential. Wrong in my view. (I really like
    the idea of capturing current or former field names in OSM, but I
    dont think this is the right way to do it).
  * Individual residential buildings. E.g., a hall of residence
    <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/297281678> in London. Sometimes
    unavoidable.

So to take the examples to hand:

  * The two Hurlingham elements may represent real local distinctions.
  * Retail areas. Many of these names will be in use although probably
    in a) local planning documents; b) commercial estate agents and c)
    retail professionals. Names used by locals may different and
    harder to establish as accepted usage. In these cases it may be
    that the name is better placed in an alternative name tag, showing
    that the name is in use but only within specific communities or
    use cases. Perhaps someone from Geolytix could provide input on
    this subject as they have the relevant expertise. Alternatively
    diligent searching in the local press and planning documents may
    establish that the usage is current.

In short: in many cases names on landuse are a very convenient way of ensuring a name used for a location is available with OSM without having to precisely define it with other tags. In some cases the boundaries are very well defined and the area is also defined with other tags such as place=*.

Jerry