On 30/10/2017 17:34, Andy Townsend wrote:
On 30/10/2017 08:58, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

As you may know, the plan is to produce a UK specific OSM mapping site. A start on this has been made here:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/osmuk/

using a fork of SomeoneElse (Andy)'s cartography with one very minor tweak so far, namely footpaths and bridleways are rendered in a style similar to Landranger maps.

Glad to be of service :)

There are a couple of other tweaks you'd probably want to do:

o One is to reinstate cycleways as "a thing".
+1

o Another is railways - I'm guessing you'd want to remove the rendering of dismantled railways, and also possibly abandoned ones,

I agree with removing all of the above, except where they're co-tagged with objects which still exist ie disused bridges:
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=51.344207&lon=-2.344501

but I'd suggest keeping proposed ones so that people can see where HS2 is going(!) (as an example, https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=53.11419&lon=-1.31171 shows all three types).

Personally I don't add proposed items & they seem to rarely come to fruition & often fail to be removed.

Other items:

It's great pedestrian crossings are rendered, but the icon gets swallowed by the road way.

Could the text size in the legend be increased?

A link to the main site at the same location so the notes & queries features (right hand side) can be easily accessed.

DaveF

o If you want to do "Welsh Language first in Wales" as described in http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/42069 I can make the load scripts available for that. It's pretty much what's in the diary entry but is a runnable script.

In terms of server space, we did have a server available to us for development purposes (provided by Birmingham in Real Time) however this will be unavailable for a month or two; however our contact there is going to recommend some cheap hosting options.

For info, the map.atownsend.org.uk site (which covers the UK and Ireland) currently fits nicely on a 4Gb memory / 100Gb SSD disk server at Hetzner; at <£15 per month you could probably short-term fund it with a whip-round in a pub. I'm sure that the other competing options - OVH et al - are similar; for the size of server I wanted for the UK Hetzner made sense for me at the beginning of the year; slightly larger or smaller on any spec parameter and something else might have been better.

Best Regards,

Andy

---