18.12.2017 19:14, Frederik Ramm пишет:
Hi,

On 12/18/2017 03:09 PM, SK53 wrote:
Personally, I'd also be chary of turning OSM into a repository of
scraped data rather than one of surveyed geodata.

And more: the more imports you do, the more OpenStreetMap becomes an IT
project where computer nerds script, collect, convert, conflate, and
interpolate away, instead of a project where all sorts of people from
all walks of life contribute their knowledge.

I think we're not an IT project, and that's good.

We are partly an IT project, which you cannot take away. Also, the number and size of imports does not affect how OSM is perceived.

For example, OSMers map very few POIs (relatively), and after they do, they update virtually zero of them. Not counting a few active mappers in UK and Germany.

To think that you can import everything is to overstate the quantity of open data in the world. Open data is mostly points of interest. In some countries it's also roads. And that's all. OSM is so much bigger than that.

As for importing POIs, I think that needs to be done, because no mapper group would be able to map all fuel station, all Tesco shops, or all museums. And if they do, in ten years, but that time half of what they've collected will be obsolete. The choice is not between manual mapping and importing, it's between importing and not having the data ever.

And since there isn't open data on everything, even if you import all POIs you can possibly have in machine-readable format, that will still be at most 10% of all POIs, even in UK or Germany. Plenty to map by going outside.

So even an army of IT folks armed with data scrapers and contracts with every data aggregator would be no match to common mappers, armed with a pen and a camera. I fail to see what you're afraid of.

Ilya