I concur with this.

I'd much rather have an up to date map. Part of OSM's USP is its quick turnarounds.

I disagree with Frederik's claim that changing one entity would "destroy the valuable information that this general area of the map hasn't been updated".
It seems perverse to want to keep an area of the map inaccurate.

Can't speak for everyone, but I would edit my local one from my armchair. No need to visit as all the details are provide online from local news feeds.
So individual or mechanical edits make little difference.

On balance I think a store tagged as disused is more likely to attract updates than one that's inaccurately tagged as open.

DaveF