On 04/08/18 00:47, Dave F wrote:

After many discussions over the years about the referencing of 'C' class roads there appeared to be a general consensus to keep them in the database but provide a unique tag to allow them not to be rendered.

I assume you mean the reference is not rendered rather than the road.

It seems to me that, in the UK, class C roads should be exactly the set of roads with highway=tertiary, so there is no need for a new tag. Even if that is not true, the correct solution would be to test the reference in the renderer and suppress it if within the UK.