Hi

I’ve watched this from afar, but thought that I would add my two pennyworth, as
a more casual mapper.

Historic county boundaries have some merit (in a very general sense), but where
do you draw the line? As it happens, I was discussing where, exactly, Middlesex
was with my son only yesterday, and I looked it up on Wikipedia. Turns out that
Middlesex has changed quite significantly over time. First of all, it existed.
Then, some of it got plonked into London - and it had already lost the City of
London and Westminster by then. Bits of it got hived off to Hertfordshire. Then
the rest of it got incorporated into Greater London. So what would you map,
historically? Do you map every single variation of it, and try and date them
all? If you were going to map historic counties properly, then you must.

But think what this does to the data. Think what this does for the new mapper
(who we are trying to encourage). There is now a mass of overlapping,
conflicting entities to edit. You need to go through every one, laboriously,
working out which ones you need to edit, and which ones you need to leave
alone. It’s a data management nightmare, and the chances of the wrong thing
being edited, or being edited incorrectly, rises exponentially.

Personally, I have never particularly liked the variety of ways that OSM
attempts to map disused / demolished entities (e.g. bus station rebuilds, etc)
even now. I am firmly of the opinion that we should be mapping existing,
current, objects, and that things that don’t exist on the ground should be
ripped out. If OSM as an organisation wants to take annual snapshots for
posterity, or to set up a separate “historic OSM” then I am all for it - I
won’t be mapping in it, myself, although I would have an interest in using it.
As in my Middlesex example, though, you would still have data management issues
unless you compartmentalise it by year - but that is a whole new interface or
workflow.

So I am very strongly in favour of NOT mapping historic counties, and only
mapping what is on the ground (or verifiably shortly to be there, as in new
builds)

Stuart

On 10 Aug 2018, at 09:24, Sean Blanchflower