On 08/08/2018 12:05, Lester Caine wrote:
On 08/08/18 10:56, Dave F wrote:

On 08/08/2018 09:54, Lester Caine wrote:
we are now in a situation where much accurately mapped material is simply dumped when there is a change to the current situation.
1. it's not dumped, it's still in the database as a historic version.
2. Changes almost always increase the accuracy & detail of the database.

Going back through the change logs is not the easiest process?

Overpass API QL language offers means to do it using version() & a couple of other commands

Isolating deletions that are due to historic changes rather than simple factual corrections also muddies the water. But making the link to OHM more organised would allow current valid data to be archived properly?

It's possible to upload using JOSM, I believe (haven't used it), but I agree, a more open gateway for transferring would be useful.

The 'delete' process should be handled in a manor more sensitive to the hard work that has gone before!

the vast majority of the material making up the historic data such as boundaries IS the same as the current 'live' data.

I'm unsure that's true, but if it were, why duplicate?

That was always my argument AGAINST OHM ... since much of the data making up boundaries has not changed, having to duplicate that information over to OHM, and then decide where material is current or historic means that IDEALLY OHM is a complete copy of the OSM database, but with the historic material easier to find than via change sets ... why not just manage a single database? People who don't want access to historic material simply ignore data which has 'expired' via end_date.

How often do you believe people will actually want historic data? Organizations archive for a reason. Consider your house, how things you don't use will get shoved to the back of the cupboard/shed. I live in a Roman city, the editors struggle to display current data. Imagine what it would be like if *everything* was shown back to the days of Emperor Nero.

Cheers
DaveF