On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 06:10:24PM +0000, Rick Bowlby wrote:
> Hello, I quite recently imported Ordnance Survey Boundary-Line data
> (October 2018, OGL v3) for recently changed electoral wards in
> Manchester (changeset
> 65101926 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/65101926>). I hope this
> isn't controversial - these boundaries are useful to me and potentially
> others as well, and I understand that the OGL is compatible with OSM.
>
> But I've now noticed that the outer boundary of the wards is not coincident
> with the current administrative boundary for Manchester City Council in OSM
> (relation 146656 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/146656>) - as far
> as I can see, the discrepancies are up to about 5m or so. However it is
> consistent with the city boundary in the same OS dataset. The sources for
> the existing OSM data seem to be mixed - there are references to Ordnance
> Survey sources (without dates), in some places the boundary ways are
> rivers, there are also references to the "historic course" of a river and
> so on.

This is perhaps slightly off topic, but this habit of some of sharing
nodes causes me many problems. When I am updating roads and other
features from fairly accurate gps surveys, I often find the I have all
these tangled boundaries about which I know little. It is a huge pain
to duplicate nodes to separate ways before I can adjust just the feature
that I have surveyed. I confess that my patience often runs out, and I
just drag the other stuff along with my updates, thinking that the
mappers who shared the nodes in the first place get what they deserve
:-).

So I may be responsible indirectly for some minor inaccuracies of
certain boundaries, although nowhere near Manchester.

I am normally extremely respectful of other mappers' work, but this is
one area where I find that it is just too difficult to avoid possible
minor damage. Maybe I just haven't found the right tools.

ael