I have faced formal learning things by using tool A at first because it 'is easy', then the next year learning tool B because 'we' needed to do more complex things, then the next year learning tool C because 'we' needed to do the most complex things...
on numerous subjects... taught in formal subjects.
Having to learn tools A and B were a waste of my time .. give the choice if I think I'm going to be around to need the more complex tools I go straight for tool C.
I have never bothered with ID .. I went straight for tool JOSM.