From: Mark Goodge [mailto:m...@good-stuff.co.uk]
Sent: 13 December 2018 11:23
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] OS Boundary-Line - Manchester political wards and
related boundaries, dealing with inconsistent data

On 12/12/2018 23:11, ael wrote:

> This is perhaps slightly off topic, but this habit of some of sharing
> nodes causes me many problems. When I am updating roads and other
> features from fairly accurate gps surveys, I often find the I have all
> these tangled boundaries about which I know little. It is a huge pain
> to duplicate nodes to separate ways before I can adjust just the feature
> that I have surveyed. I confess that my patience often runs out, and I
> just drag the other stuff along with my updates, thinking that the
> mappers who shared the nodes in the first place get what they deserve
> :-).

I agree. I tried to fix the outline of a park that's just down the road
from me. It's clearly incorrect when viewed on the satellite view in the
editor, and I thought it would be a relatively simple task of dragging
the nodes to match reality. But it turns out that the nodes down one
side are shared with a river that's adjacent to the park, and down
another side with a road that is almost, but not quite, directly
adjacent to the park. Sharing nodes with that road makes the park look
bigger than it actually is, and, more importantly, makes a building
that, in reality, is on the boundary of the park appear to be wholly
within it. I thought I could simply drag the nodes to the correct
position, but I can't without also moving the road, which would be
equally incorrect.

It would make far more sense if the boundaries of the park were a single
set of nodes and ways not shared with any other object. When I've got
considerably more tuits to spare I may just do that - delete the park
completely and then recreate it from scratch as a new object with its
own nodes and ways. But, at the moment, I don't really have the time. So
I've left it, and it continues to irritate me every time I look at it on
the map :-)

Mark