It is well-known that meadows (hay meadows) are now a vanishingly small
part of the British landscape. For instance in Nottinghamshire we have
around 28 ha of MG4 grassland (the typical meadow plant community for
meadows in the East Midlands).

Work
<https://theintermingledpot.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/we-should-talk-of-ancient-grassland/>
by my friend Martin Allen indicates that Natural England's figures for the
main meadow types are hopelessly optimistic, and there is no money to
actually develop good quality data on what exists. Many, but not all,
surviving meadows (unimproved grasslands which have not been ploughed) will
have some degree of protection: SSSI or nomination as a Local Wildlife Site
(although the latter is not much). The key book on the subject is
Peterken's Meadows <https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/meadows-9780956490247/>
in the series published by Bloomsbury (formerly British Wildlife
Publishing).

Similar issues exist in other parts of the UK, John Falkner, former head of
the NIEA, jokes that Perennial Rye-grass, not Flax, is now Northern
Irelands national plant. Undisturbed grasslands are now often limited to
coastal zones.

The loss of meadows since WWII means that many of us are not very familiar
with them. Loose usage of the term meadow, for instance in 'wildflower
meadow', or, for any patch of grassland, or, even, on OSM, means that
meadow is probably no longer a terribly useful term.

The phrases used in the ecological literature are "unimproved grassland"
(acidic, neutral or basic) and Martin's suggestion "ancient grassland".
Typical modern pasturage will be leys (typically Perennial Rye-grass
re-sown periodically), and fertilised and thus improved grassland. In
practice they are easy to tell apart on the ground: unimproved grassland
will obviously have many species of grasses & forbs (non-grass herbs aka
weeds), whereas improved grassland is often apparently a monoculture with
very few weed species (and these will be different from those in unimproved
grassland). Improved grassland is often a rather lurid green colour. The
half-way house - semi-improved grassland - is rather harder to find simple
rules of thumb.

I strongly believe we should try & map REAL meadows: they are a precious
and diminishing resource.

Jerry
Either way, as Ian points out on crop rotation, mapping things as
landuse=meadow from aerial imagery

True meadows which used to be common in the UK