On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:45:53AM +1100, Warin wrote:
> On 18/3/20 1:42 am, ael wrote:
> > > The inability to mark an object's location as "authorititive" has always
> > > seemed like a massive shortcoming of the project to me. Stopping people
> > > re-aligning things based on a bad phone GPS or badly aligned aerial
> > > imagery is impossible and even realising that things have been
> > > incorrectly moved is random at best.
> > I agree entirely and have often wished for exactly that. I sometimes use
> > source=gps_surveys  (plural) to try to convey that this is not just one
> > random gps trace.
>
> "source=average of multiple gps surveys, high accuracy"
>
> Be really descriptive... the 's' on the end of gps surveys is really easy to
> miss.

Well, yes, and I do quite often expand the source tag to try to
convey more. But in your example "high" accuracy is a problem.
If I was using differential gps with cm accuracy, I would call
that "high" accuracy. In the present case, the accuracy is
not really known, but probably approaching a meter.
But I guess that sort of thing could be included in a source tag,
although free form text might be better in a note tag.

But my impression is that many armchair mappers just don't look.

ael