On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 at 18:08, Peter Neale <neal...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> As Boots' stores don't ALL have a pharmacy counter, IMHO they should be
> tagged as "shop=chemist".  Those that DO have a pharmacy (dispensing
> prescriptions) should be additionally tagged, either with "pharmacy=yes", or
> with a separate node for the pharmacy.  I think that would fit with the
> checking that you describe for your tool.

Both of those will get picked up by my tool. You could also do
shop=chemist and amenity=pharmacy together, or just amenity=pharmacy
on it's own. The best choice will probably depend on the nature of the
Boots branch. Some may essentially just be a pharmacy counter with a
small range of other medicines also available. Others branches will be
a much larger store, where the pharmacy counter is more incidental.

> As regards "pharmacy type", does your data identify what I would call
> "wholesale pharmacies", who have no public access, but supply medicines to
> hospitals, care homes and individual customers in their homes?  I know of 2
> in my area.  In one case, I changed the name to "Jardines (on line)" (Node:
> 6409354480) and in the other to "Mediva Private Pharmacy" (Node: 6443190532),
> in an attempt to make it clear that there is no public access.
> Could these be excluded in future?

The data I use can be downloaded from
https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/registers -- it's the "list of
registered pharmacies". As of today, I'm now just keeping those with a
Type (the last column) of either "Community" or "Temporary -
Community/Portacabin". I think doing this corresponds most closely to
what we'd want to tag as amenity=pharmacy in OSM. For internal
hospital and prison pharmacies, and for internet-only pharmacies that
you can't get prescriptions from as a walk-in customer, I don't think
they should be tagged as amenity=pharmacy.

Best wishes,
Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker