Rather than reverting, I restored access and left the top-level
highway=* tag alone.

I only noticed these changes when plotting a route in Komoot and
noticing that I needed to create/drag a lot of extra waypoints in order
to get the expected behaviour. Hopefully Komoot will behave responsibly
and warn me that I'll need to dismount in a few places. Repairing
routing as quickly as possible was my priority, although it could take
weeks for some routers to restore functionality.

In this case, I think that if there is any tagging for the renderer, the
target renderer was OpenCycleMap rather than OSM Carto.

On 03/09/2020 10:40, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
> These changes should be reverted in my view.
>
> But I would note that the default map on osm.org does a poor job of
> communicating the difference between shared paths (like those in QEOP and
> elsewhere) and dedicated cycle lanes.  Both look like blue dashed lines.
> They look indistinguishable. So an honest pedestrian mapper might easily jump
> to the wrong conclusion and make changes of the sort you've described below.
>
> Perhaps the right way forward is to suggest changes to how osm.org displays
> shared ways - red dash for dedicated pedestrian, blue dash for dedicated
> cycleway and alternating for shared?   Maybe something to indicate priority?
>  Without changes like this, I can see this sort of thing happening again.
>
> ---
> https://hdyc.neis-one.org/?spiregrain
> spiregrain_...@ksglp.org.uk

[...]