I've foolishly now decided to try to get to the bottom of it - the
beating of the bounds still doesn't explain why exactly it covers that
area (although I'm impressed that the Lord Mayor managed to commandeer
a warship to do so!)

Incidentally, the OSM wiki page for Wales claims that the sea boundary
between Wales and England is not well-defined:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wales#Boundary

Cheers,

Russ

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 21:12, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "extremely stupid reasons" in this case relates to an very old tradition
> where the Lord Mayor of Bristol 'beats the bounds' of the city by
> rowing/sailing out to the islands.
>
> As a consequence a small wedge of the city of Bristol bounds lies within
> Welsh water.
>
> You get a similar situation with Denny Island which lies within English
> waters but is part of Monmouthshire.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7019663.stm
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20071012220607/http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/content/press-releases/2007/sep/beating-bristols-water-boundary.en
>
> Best regards