Yeah, I assume what happened is that the City of Bristol ended up, at
some point, as a statutory port authority (which I think they were
until 1991), and somehow the boundary from that has remained as their
local authority boundary. But it's still a fairly unique situation as
there are many other harbours with statutory port authorities where
this anomaly doesn't exist.

I'm fairly sure that Bristol boundary does not coincide with the
current limits of the Port of Bristol. Aberdeen has a small seaward
extension which also doesn't appear to coincide with their current
port authority limits either. So it's not clear what these seaward
extensions currently achieve.

I'd love to find the actual legislation which created this...

Russ

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 22:24, Mark Goodge <m...@good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/09/2020 21:23, Russ Garrett wrote:
> > I've foolishly now decided to try to get to the bottom of it - the
> > beating of the bounds still doesn't explain why exactly it covers that
> > area (although I'm impressed that the Lord Mayor managed to commandeer
> > a warship to do so!)
>
> AIUI, it's because it's the historic maritime navigation route into
> Bristol and Avonmouth. The simplified constituency boundary map is,
> possibly a little bizarrely, one of the best visualisations of that:
>
> https://members.parliament.uk/constituency/3368/location
>
> See also this Admiralty chart for the Bristol Channel - you can see that
> the "Bristol Deep" channel passes between the two islands and leads into
> the harbour:
>
> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0278/1529/products/OCB-1179.jpg
>
> Mark

Russ Garrett