We as a UK community, certainly from the countryside mapping point of
view tend to be walkers and cyclists. We see a track, we know its a
track because the tagging language of OSM is after all our native
language.

Take for example
http://trigpoint.myzen.co.uk/photodump/20201212_150029.jpg

This is https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/718122173/history

It was originally mapped as a track, which is correct IMHO, I would not
drive my car with low profile tyres here although I have both ridden my
town and trail bike and walked here.

Mapping as these as tracks has served us as a community well over the
years. We have no use-case for them other than as walkers/cyclists and
our allies, the horse riders.

Recently paid mappers have started changing many of these tracks to
service roads, because the wiki says that tracks are for agricultural
and forestry use and as these tracks lead to farms and other properties
they cannot be tracks

I suspect one of the issues we are seeing goes back to the first
version of the highway=track wiki page which is where the
Agriculture/Forestry restriction appeared, although until these edits
began to appear I had never had cause to read the wiki to find out what
a track is, or to challenge the restrictive definition.

My 10p worth.

Phil (trigpoint)