Totally agree that openstreetmap.org isn't supposed to be a "general public" map destination but without knowing user journeys, I assume that is where most people land.

Options could be that openstreetmap.org provide alternative links based on locality and/or develop robust (N.B. tiles from opencyclemap.org seems to have security issue) local solutions that are found by search engines (i.e. good search engine optimisation)