On 20/12/2020 15:30, ndrw wrote:
On 20/12/2020 12:45, Dave Abbott wrote:
There is a page at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rjw62/UK_Address_Mapping which mentions "suggested tags" but there is no evidence that this is in use. If correct I would be tagging as -

addr:housenumber=99
addr:street=Postal Street
addr:town=Smalltown
addr:city=Largertown

This is correct, although there is no consensus wrt to the tag used for Smalltown. I'm using one of addr:villlage|suburb|town myself. There was a proposal to switch to addr:locality only, which I argued against in the past, but it would indeed match RM addressing better and often classification of the locality is unclear.

Using the two separate towns is not correct. The house (or whatever) is not in Largertown,it is in Smalltown.

Postal towns are in invention of Royal Mail. Correct addressing of any location are set by Local Authorities, not Royal Mail. There are no postal towns in LA addresses.

In the original example the 'Smalltown' (or indeed village or even hamlet) translates into addr:city in OSM. I know this may look confusing as a small villiage is not a city, but that is, IMHO, the correct way tobuild an OSM UK address.

Adding postal towns is not only redundant, but is misleading. It looks as though the way to find Smalltown would be first to go to Largertown, when that is very rarely the case. OSM addresses are hierarchical, RM addressing is not as postal town is usually a separate place.

I should have added that postcodes are a useful addition and my postcode overlays can help to workout what the correct postcode is for a given building. You can see more at https://codepoint.raggedred.net/