Thanks, I have started mapping some "X (part of)" townlands as exclaves now
(part of the 'parent' townland relation). This works well for the most
part. I noticed that the 'parent' Townland usually has an additional area,
for example "including 10A 1R 7P  dd. portion". This area matches the area
of the exclave, so that makes sense.

Here is a difficult example though, Although it says "Part of Rahard" it is
not obvious that it is an exclave as the 'parent' townland is about 4
townlands to the North West (There is even a third unrelated "Rahard" to
the west which makes it difficult). I can identify the correct parent
townland by matching the E.D. and the "area ...d.d. portion". The areas
match, so it IS an exclave, but a strange one. The areas are relatively the
same size and its not obvious why it is an exclave and not another townland
with the same name. I will leave it alone for now.
exclave:
http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/?zoom=16&lat=53.63809&lon=-9.10907&layers=B00TTFFFFFFFFFFF
Parent:
http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/?zoom=17&lat=53.67605&lon=-9.161&layers=B00TTFFFFFFFFFFF

Another somewhat unrelated question is, Could "Bal of Dookinnely (Calvy)"
(Ball Dumha Cinn Aille) be an exclave of nearby "Dookinnely (Calvy)" (Dumha
Cinn Aille)? In Irish, Ball can mean 'part of' and we are on Achill Island
here, so it is in the Gaeltacht. As far as I understand the (Calvy) ending
is a family name in the area. The townland was named after landowners? The
common (Calvy) part in both townlands suggests they are linked. I somehow
think that "Bal of Dookinnely (Calvy)" should still remain as a separate
townland, at least for now.
http://askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?
action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Submit&
familyname=calvy&firstname=&baronyname=&countyname=MAYO&
unionname=&parishname=