After loading the yet to be translated nodes into google sheets, I used the
=GOOGLETRANSLATE() function to get google translations of place names and
also queried wikidata to get wikidata translations. When both these
matched, I extracted a list and uploaded through a script.[1] I also
verified the changesets[2] that were created through script and did not
find any issues.

[1] https://gist.github.com/srikanthlogic/5148571367bb829b03c2170af59880c4
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SrikanthLogic/history

--