2009/1/15 Ed Garcia <eppgar...@gmail.com>

> I was about to post the message below when I was pleasantly surprised to
> discover that this has been addressed now and the enhancement is already on
> the main map web page of OSM...

> one thing would be really "nice to have" on the OSM main map ... a marker
> icon and perhaps a baloon with info indicating the location of a searched
> item.
>
> This is excellent!  I tried to search one of the schools I added (Tungkong
> Mangga Elementary School) with the keyword tungkong and was so pleased with
> what OSM displayed.
>
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.78758&lon=121.07228&zoom=17&layers=B000FTT
>
> Now perfect for POI searching!
>
> Question ... I tried to search by "vicinity"  like:  "hotels in boracay"
> and it does not show any items.  I was wishing the search can be enhanced so
> that it has the ability to shortlist by category and by location,  I thought
> this would be possible since the POIs will have the tourism=x and is_in:
> tags anyway.  This is how resorts are organized in WaypointsDotPH.  If this
> can be done in OSM, then traveller queries like that of Jim Morgan can
> easily be answered by the search facility of OSM.

The namefinder uses 'near' rather than 'in', so you search for "hotels in
boracay" would be written as "hotels near boracay", which returns no results
for some reason... doing a search for "hotels near manila" returns some
results though, so it's at least finding some data (and not all of them have
hotel in the name)... I don't know if the name finder uses is_in tags
though, I have a feeling it works on distance between objects, so, between a
place named boracay and an object tagged with tourism=hotel... (actually
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Search suggests that is_in tags are
used but, it seems, only when reducing the matches of a place, i.e. "hotels
in bonifacio, manila" to avoid matching a place with bonifacio in it's name
elsewhere in the world and finding all hotels near there...)