On 19 Mar 2009, at 17:18, Thomas Wood wrote:

> Yes, this is the first message since the confirmation we can use the
> data.
>
> I did a little more tweaking to the StopArea code at the weekend (not
> that it matters for the WestMids data).
>
> I propose we now do the following:
> - Download the whole NaPTAN dataset, so to simplify the update
> process in the future (it'll be easier to merge a complete data set
> with a single noted timestamp)
> - Run a conversion and filter on the West Midlands data set for just
> items in Birmingham.
> - Show the list 5 or so example stops to show how they've been
> converted, so we can fix any issues before an import. (And possibly
> produce a slimmed down slippymap showing the density of data we're
> importing). If a consensus is reached, we'll run an import under the
> NaPTAN account. (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NaPTAN, which I
> currently have control of).
> - Allow Birmingham mappers to trawl the data and work on a set of
> guidelines of how to bring the data more in-line with OSM, where
> required.
> - Open the import to other talk-gb regions.
>
> I also propose that the official datasets are kept (privately),
> converted, and uploaded on/from the OSM dev machine rather than one of
> our personal ones.

All sounds good to me.

When you create the NaPTAN Import user do give that user a description
saying what it is being used for and also give a link to the
'controllers' of that user, ie yourself and I would suggest we have at
least one other person who knows the password of the NaPTAN Import user.

Regards,

Peter

> 2009/3/18 Christoph Böhme <christ...@b3e.net>:
>> Hi all
>>
>> has there been any progress with the NaPTAN import yet? The list has
>> been very quiet recently.
>> I started programming the visual merge tool but I have not yet
>> reached
>> a point where there is something to show. I decided not to modify the
>> busstop data in the osm database directly but to keep a seperate copy
>> of the relevant nodes that can be merged into the database at some
>> point when we tidied it up (basically like the dracos tool does it).
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know that I have not given up on the
>> import ...
>>
>> Christoph
>>
>> Brian Prangle <bpran...@googlemail.com> schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> Summarising where I believe we've got to:
>>>
>>> 1. Thomas: schedule for completion - we're entirely in your hands -
>>> agree it's best to avoid the API update.
>>> 2. Birmingham only for test import
>>> 3. No highway=bus_stop tags, enabling us to merge/verify existing
>>> OSM
>>> data ( Christophe's visual tool to eventually solve this manual