Am 12.01.2011 11:10, schrieb Albin Michlmayr:
Am Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:21:41 +0100
schrieb Michał Borsuk<michal.bor...@gmail.com>:

On 11 January 2011 18:59, Dominik Mahrer (Teddy)<te...@teddy.ch>
wrote:

I began searching for alternatives and found Oxomoa, unified
stoparea, stop place and others. All are created because the
current schema is not able to represent all eventualities.
It doesn't have to. It is an S-function, reaching 100% costs much
more than reaching 99%.
I pretty much came the same way Dominik did. I am also a public
transport fanatic.
So am I.
And I like to map small details and it makes me joy
to when a bus route crossing a roundabout uses one half of the
roundabout in one direction and the other half in the other direction.
Till now I had the impression that openstreetmap follows the philosophy
"Everybody maps as detailed as he likes". And for enthusiasts it is not
only a question of efficency and costs but also of joy, and isn't it
because of enthusiasts that openstreetmap exist?
It's a Pareto-principle distribution: 80% of edits are done by 20% of contributors. Still, this does not mean that we can't have more contributors. And new guys are not going to map half a roundabout, at least not immediately.

Personally I've done the same as you did, until I realized that my area (2500km²) will never get done if I am to be so slow. Thereafter I imported *all* the bus stops, added more lines, and miraculously more contributors appeared! So people were encouraged to join when they saw another person do something in their area. So the learning curve was important after all: they all copied from me, instead of discovering (like I did) how it should be done.

And that's my main point: we need more of those "small time contributors".
If not and if this detailed public transport mapping is not preferred
in osm please tell me, then I will find my joy somewhere else.

This is a proposal, nobody is telling you to go. Or even to change your ways. Enjoy it as you did. I am just appealing to your common sense: the standard is not only for us, but for the community. The community is often *very* different than us. Most of them will never reach our levels of proficiency, but if they map a line or two, it's very good!

And, I don't know where you people get the idea that I am any different than you. I've ridden public transport in many countries, both on the right and on the left side of the street, and on two continents. I map not only German lines, but also French, and local international (yes, we do have those!). Presently I don't have a car, but I have an almost free monthly ticket to my large public transport area. I've been to more places in that PT area (VerkehrsVerbund) than any local inhabitant in his whole life.

What I clearly oppose is turning OSM PT mapping into our playground. I am an idealist, ready to defend the principle that OSM is a public service, not only our personal fun. I am not aiming to take the fun from us. All I want is to have an open door for new people. More on this should actually follow in the other thread I started, about principles to follow.

  Michał, please feel free to tell me what to
change to improve the proposal. To say this proposal has a "bad
learning curve" may be correct, but it does not help further.
In another topic.
I am looking forward to that!

I've posted it yesterday. Can't cite the title, because I don't see my own posts. You're very welcome to argue with the five principles I posted there, and my comparison of the proposal in the light of the principles.

Greetings,

--
Best regards, mit freundlichen Grüssen, meilleurs sentiments, Pozdrowienia,

Michał Borsuk