> The Crown Point bridge
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28436071) comes to mind; it's
> constructed of non-reinforced concrete and was essentially condemned
> recently with only a few hours notice
> (
> http://www.poststar.com/news/local/article_e77cd748-ba8b-11de-9ff0-001cc4c03286.html
> ).
>
> If you decide what an appropriate tag is, would you mind updating this
> at the same time?

I haven't decided on an appropriate tag, but I went ahead an removed the
Crown Point Bridge from the map to keep things up to date.  I left the way
intact, just removed the highway and bridge tags so nothing gets
rendered<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.03215&lon=-73.42277&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF>.
 I also left a note explaining the current situation for the next mapper who
edits the area.  When an appropriate tag is decided upon, or a new bridge is
built, this way can be updated.  That's the beauty of OSM!

As for tagging, here's how we do roads/bridges that are under construction:
highway = construction
construction = primary

why not use this same structure for closed roads/bridges?
highway = closed
closed = primary

The Crown Point bridge is currently closed.  Soon it will be demolished.
 Then construction on a new one will begin.   Because this is the usual
cycle, I think the rendering that is used for roads under construction (dashed
line<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.44777&lon=-73.21343&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF>)
would make sense for closed roads/bridges as well.  I'l probably tag the
Crown Point bridge as under construction right now, but tagging for the
renderer is wrong.  However, if I did it would be true in 6 months!
 Actually this road tagged as under
construction<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.44777&lon=-73.21343&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF>,
probably shouldn't be.  Construction was stopped on it years ago, so at this
point it's just closed.  Anyhow, that's a good reason for rendering of
closed & construction to be the same or similar.  There is a fine line
between them.  Construction implies it will be open in the future, Closed
does not.  Subtle difference for the slippy map, but important for the
underlying data.

Zeke
Burlington, VT