> for that matter, there are roads in the Alps that don't get plowed,
> are there any european mappers following this list who know
> if those get tagged for seasonal closure, and if so, how?

I've seen a variety of discussions about seasonal closures on the wiki, but
none with lasting results.  One thing I have seen mentioned is that any
seasonal closure tagging scheme should encompass closure due to snow in
winter for mountainous regions, as well as flooding in the rainy season for
tropical areas.

Here are all the reasons for a road existing but being closed (distinguished
from private) that I can think of:

   - Under construction  (this already has a tagging sytem)
   - Damaged or blocked by disaster.  Re-construction or cleanup may be
   pending or not.
   - Old and unsafe. Re-construction may be pending or not.
   - Blocked/unmaintained seasonally (winter in mountains, rainy season in
   tropics, others?)

Personally I think these should all be rendered in generally the same style
on the Mapnik slippy map.  A note in parenthesis rendered after the road
name could be used to show the reason for closure. This could be a separate
tag.  To most map viewers what matters is that the road is closed, not the
reason.  These 4 cases do overlap and could be combined somewhat, but I
think having some differentiating data in the DB is good because, although
it's not needed for a general road map, it could be useful for a more
specific map in the future.

> this weekend, i'll see about pulling this together into a proposal
> and bring it up on the tagging list.

Thanks Richard!

Zeke