Well I took a look at the blog post with the technical details. They
are using a vanilla osm2pgsql/mapnik setup, just custom styles from
Cartifact. They mention enhancing mapnik. Have these changes already
made it back upstream or will that happen in the future? In particular
I'm guessing the "multistyle rendering based on polygonal regions" is
of interest for the highway/interstate rendering. I see they don't
(yet?) have state highway shields, just interstates and US highways.

Overall I think it looks pretty nice though.